Disney is revealing more details about new attractions at Disney California Adventure as it nears the completion of a five-year, $1 billion makeover.
Last week, Disney creators outlined tidbits about upcoming attractions during tours and a presentation that were part of a State of the Resort event at the Disneyland Resort. See a previous story about the State of the Resort event at the Disneyland Resort.
About 400 invited guests attended the Friday event. Disney took down some construction walls to show the sites of upcoming attractions during tours before the park opened. Click on photos above to see larger images.
Crews are scheduled to complete the California Adventure project next year. Follow California Adventure expansion news.
Here are some highlights of the under-construction features.
Buena Vista Street, the under-construction entrance corridor of Disney California Adventure opening in 2012.
- New shops and venues will line the main corridor past the turnstiles based on the California that Walt Disney saw when he started here in the 1920s and 1930s.
- Oswald’s Filling Station will be one of the stores along Buena Vista Street. Oswald, the Lucky Rabbit, was a character created by Walt Disney in 1927. He was a precursor to Mickey Mouse.
- Los Feliz Five and Dime is another store. Walt Disney lived in the Los Feliz area of Los Angeles when he first moved to California.
- Construction of the framework of the Carthay Circle Theater, a key building in the entrance, recently began at the park. Read more about Carthay Circle Theater in Disney California Adventure.
- The Radiator Springs Racers ride will make up about six of the 12 acres of Cars Land.
- The ride will last about 5 1/2 minutes, going through scenes based on movie themes, including Taillight Caverns. The last third of the ride is a side-by-side race.
- A Curio Shop is inspired by the trading posts that creators saw during a Route 66 road trip to get inspiration for Cars Land.
Read more facts about Cars Land.
The Little Mermaid – Ariel’s Undersea Adventure, a dark ride set to open June 3:
- The ride will last about 5 1/2 minutes.
- Scenes will include 183 characters, including 127 in the “Under the Sea” scene alone.
- On the recently unveiled facade, Ariel’s six sisters are carved on the arch entrance.
- The Triton statue, which sits atop the building, was taken from a fountain in Triton’s Garden, which closed in 2008, according to the Yesterland blog. The garden was replaced by Pixie Hollow.
See a video about the upcoming Little Mermaid-based ride.
Check back later in the week for new photos and an updated on construction in Disney California Adventure.
Recent California Adventure expansion news:
Disney reveals details about park expansion is a post from: Around Disney